Join Michael Downey at the NJ Lottery Festival of Ballooning, the most photographed event on the East Coast! You'll learn how to photograph hot air balloons as they're inflating, launching, and flying up in the air. You'll then be behind the scenes at the festival and free to roam the balloon launch area. Don't miss out on breathtaking visuals of balloons from around the world!
GENERAL REGISTRATION INCLUDES:
• (1) Seminar at Fairfield: Wed, July 26th (6:30pm - 8pm)
**If you're not attending the seminar, email [email protected] to arrange another time to pick up your credentials.
• (1) Balloon Festival General Admission Ticket
**Admission to the festival on the day of your chosen launch.
• (1) "Behind the Scenes" field pass for ONE launch
**Friday (6:30pm) | Saturday (6:30am) | Sunday (6:30am) **For Friday, you can arrive at the festival as early as 1pm. **For Saturday and Sunday, arrive at the festival by 5:45am.
*Parking is NOT included and costs $10 per vehicle.
Learn how to photograph hot air balloons as they're setting up for launch! Head Instructor Michael Downey will briefly go over photography basics and offer insight on shots to look for during the festival. He'll also cover gear recommendations, logistics on where to meet, and what to expect before and during the course of the launch.
If you've already joined us for our Balloon Festival workshop in previous years, you DO NOT need to attend this seminar again.
If you won't be attending the seminar for any reason, please send us an email at [email protected] to arrange a date/time to pick up your credentials at our Fairfield location. Credentials MUST be picked up before your chosen Balloon Festival date (during open store hours) or else you won't be able to get into the festival.
BALLOON FESTIVAL @ SOLBERG AIRPORT
Choose One: Friday, July 28th *OR* Saturday, July 29th *OR* Sunday, July 30th
The New Jersey Festival of Ballooning (Solberg Airport - 30 Thor Solberg Road, Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889) is the largest summertime hot air balloon and music festival in North America and is the premiere family entertainment attraction in NJ. It holds the dual distinction of being a recipient of The New Jersey Governor's Award for Best Special Event, as well as being designated, for the 6th time, as a Top 100 Festival in North America by the American Bus Association. Held annually at Solberg Airport, the festival truly has something for everyone! From twice daily mass ascensions of up to 100 special shape and sport hot air balloons, to headlining concerts, non-stop family entertainment, hundreds of crafters and vendors, great food, fireworks, a balloon glow, and more, the festival is jam-packed with stuff to do.
On your chosen day, meet up with Michael and the other attendees at the Balloon Launch area at the times listed below. Once the field opens, your "Behind the Scenes" pass will allow you to go behind the roped area that's inaccessible to the general public. You'll be free to move around and photograph the different balloons as they're inflating and setting up for the mass ascension. Of course, please be mindful of your surroundings so that the balloons can launch safely. After all of the balloons have taken off, you're welcome to head home or enjoy the rest of the festivities!
• For those attending the festival on Friday,you will receive "Behind the Scenes" access to photograph the Friday evening launch (6:30pm). You may arrive at the festival as early as 1:00pm. Please plan to arrive at the launch area by 5:30pm at the latest. Traffic to the festival will increase greatly as it gets closer to the launch time.
• For those attending the festival on Saturday,you will receive "Behind the Scenes" access to photograph the Saturday morning launch (6:30am). Please plan to arrive at the launch area by 5:45am.
• For those attending the festival on Sunday,you will receive "Behind the Scenes" access to photograph the Sunday morning launch (6:30am). Please plan to arrive at the launch area by 5:45am.