Session One: Lightroom’s Interface, Views and the Library Module
- Overview of the Lightroom Interface
• Review of Lightroom’s 7 different modules
• Review Lightroom’s different ‘views’
- Importing photos into Lightroom
• Review the 4 importing options that Lightroom provides and which is the best workflow for you.
• Where does Lightroom store my photos? And, should I let Lightroom store my photos?
- The Library Module
• Review the Quick Develop menu and how to best enhance your photos
- How does Lightroom treat JPG images vs. RAW images?
- Creating a Virtual Copy and Stacking of Photos
- How to read a Histogram
- Understanding the White Balance, Tone Control and Clarity settings
- How to properly crop an image within Lightroom
- Time for enhancing your own photos
Session Two - The Develop Module, Catalogs, Folders, Collections and Smart Collections
- The Develop Module
• Further enhance your photos by using Presets (along with how to install presets)
• Further enhance your photos by using the Basic, Tone Curve and HSL / Color / B&W menus
• Using Snapshots within your workflow
- The tools within the Develop Module
• Proper use of the crop tool
• The spot removal tool
• The Red Eye tool
• The Graduated Filter tool
• The Radial Filter tool
• The Adjustment Brush tool
Session Three - Organization of Photos
- Catalogs, Folders and Collections
• How does Lightroom organize - and keep track of - your photos?
• Find ‘missing’ photos
• Combine two catalogs into one catalog
• Export photos from one catalog into a new catalog
• What Metadata should I attach to my photos within Lightroom?
• Apply Keywords to your photos
• Apply Metadata to your photos
• Use Metadata to create collections and smart collections
- Time for enhancing / organizing your own photos
Session Four - Print Module
• Using Lightroom Printing Templates
• Using Lightroom Printing and Custom Packages
• Understanding Image Settings, DPI, resizing your photos, Page Setup and Print Settings
• Customizing your prints with the Layout menu
• Watermarking your photos
• Understanding Print Resolution and Print Sharpening
• Understanding Color Management
- Explanation of ‘Managed by Printer’ printing profile
Session Five - Review and working on your own photos
- Review of Lightroom
• Review of workflows, photo organization, Library Module and Develop module
- Time for enhancing your own photos
Unique University® is the highly acclaimed education component of Unique Photo®, NJ’s only camera and video superstore. There is over 2000 sq. ft. of learning space, including our start-of-the art, 1000 sq. ft. main presentation hall. Unique University’s mission is to help our visitors “Create Better Pictures” by providing photography education for beginners to pros. With events daily, it is the place where photography groups such as local camera clubs, ASMP, PPA and others meet. We have a full curriculum of classes and seminars from world famous speakers such as Art Wolfe, Rick Sammon, Michael Yamashita, Tyler Stableford, Lindsay Adler, and Will Crockett. We offer photography experiences to such places as the Prudential Center for Seton Hall Men's Basketball, Meadowlands Horse Racetrack, Lakota Wolf Preserve, NJ Jackals Baseball, Rutgers Football, Botanical Gardens, Festival of Ballooning, and much more. Our technical classes include such topics as basic D-SLR photography, lighting techniques, Adobe Photoshop, Elements, and Lightroom, macro photography, composition, editing and printing, wedding photography, HDR photography, working with speedlights, how to use social media, digital organization, one-on-one instruction, and much more.
Where are classes held?
Unless stated otherwise, classes are held in the Unique University classroom within the Unique Photo SuperStore (123 US Highway 46 West, Fairfield, NJ 07004).
What should I bring to class?
You're encouraged to bring your camera and a notebook and pen to most classes. Some classes will require additional equipment, so please check the class descriptions.
Will lunch or refreshments be included?
Lunch and refreshments are not provided for any classes under 6 hours unless noted.
How do I register for a class?
You can register online, in-store at the concierge, or by phone at either 973-377-6454 or 973-377-2007. Please note that you will need to provide payment information.
Can I register at the door?
For most classes, you're free to register at the concierge desk prior to the start of the class. Please note that there are some classes that offer "Early Bird Special" rates and others that have limited seating, so it would be in your best interest to register prior to the dates of such classes.
I wanted to register for ______ class, but it is now sold out. Is there a waiting list?
Please contact us at 973-377-6454 or firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: your name, phone number, email address, and the class name and date.
My question has not been addressed here. Is there someone I can contact?
Please contact us at 973-377-6454 or email@example.com with any additional inquiries.
Unique University Class Cancellation Policy
- Classes costing less than $99 may be canceled up to 48 hours in advance for a full refund. For classes costing $100 or more, advanced notice of seven days before the class is necessary for a full refund.
- Requests for cancellation made after these deadlines will be awarded store credit in the amount paid for registration towards a future Unique University seminar or workshop.
- Cancellations made within 24 hours of the beginning of a class will not be honored and no refund or credit will be given.
- Cancellations of any class utilizing models will be subject to a cancellation fee of 50% of the purchased price (up to $100).
** Attention American Express cardholders: If you cancel a registration for a class costing $100 or more, there will be a 3% cancellation fee deducted from your refund or store credit.