The Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 Digital Cinema Camera features updated electronics & recording capabilities from the previous Mini Pro Camera they had released. The Mini Pro 4.6K is designed with an expanded set of controls and functions, & introduces its updated Super 35 4.6K sensor that features 15 stops of dynamic range at ISO 3200, high frame rate recording up to 300fps, & more.
Optics and Focus
The URSA Mini Pro is designed with an interchangeable EF mount, but if you want to use Nikon, PL, or B4 mounts, other interchangeable mounts can be purchased separately. The Mini Pro's interchangeable lens mount enables the cinema camera to be used for nearly any type of workflow (EX: cinema, documentary, &ENG/EFP). Also featured, are high-quality ND (Neutral Density) filters, which allow you to quickly reduce the amount of light that is entering the camera. The filters are specially designed to match the color science of the URSA Mini Pro G2, allowing you to maintain consistent image quality (with minimal color shift). The ND filters allow you to use different combinations of aperture & shutter angle to experience a shallower depth of field, or motion blur. The internal IR filters are designed to filter optical, & infrared, wavelengths to completely avoid IR contamination of the images that can occur with standard ND filter. The URSA Mini Pro holds the filters, & quickly moves them into place as the ND filter dial is turned. The current filter settings can be viewed as an ND number, stop reduction, or fraction on the LCD screen.
Sensor and Screen
The 4.6K Super 35 HDR CMOS image sensor provides an effective resolution of 4608 x 2592, & can capture footage that has a higher resolution than 4K resolution. Its design features 15 stops of dynamic range at ISO 3200, as well as a wide exposure latitude, which enables greater control, & allows highlight recovery with clean shadows. This Digital Cinema Camera can record the entire sensor at up to 60 fps, making it suitable for television & other workflows that require high frame rates. When using a smaller portion of the sensor, the URSA Mini Pro G2 can record slow-motion footage (up to 300 fps in 1080p resolution). In order to eliminate the need for post-processing before editing your footage, the Camera takes your captured footage that is filmed with higher frame rates, & conforms it into the set standard frame rate.
The URSA Mini Pro G2's display is a highly visible black & white LCD screen that is designed to be easily viewed, even in brighter lighting conditions. The display provides you with a status for your record timecode, locked timecode, & reference timecode, as well as your current shooting frame rate, aperture, shutter angle, white balance, iris, & ISO. It also includes a battery indicator, card recording status, & audio meters (for monitoring levels). The screen features a backlight that can be turned on when you're filming in dimly lit areas, & can be turned off when filming outdoors.
Images and Videos
The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is designed with the Blackmagic Design Generation 4 Color Science in order to provide superior imaging that provides you with remarkably accurate skin tones & lifelike colors. RAW images are provided with the highest amount of color date & dynamic range, due to a custom nonlinear 12-bit space. With Blackmagic RAW, you can choose compression levels (up to 12:1) & still get high-quality images to use for feature films, documentaries, & broadcast programming. RAW images can be recorded onto SD or CFast cards, as well as to flash disks (with USB-C expansion port). The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is designed with the ability to capture 4.6K footage at 120 fps, 4K DCI at 150 fps, or even 1080p footage at 300 fps. This makes the digital cinema camera suitable for fast-action shooting.
- The URSA Mini Pro G2 is designed with many physical controls that are easy to access, allowing you to have the most important camera settings within your reach. The controls & functions are placed in a user friendly setup, making their locations easy to remember, & enabling you to adjust camera settings, change frame rates, & apply ND filters without having to look at the buttons.
- Two CFast 2.0 slots, & two SD slots are built-in for recording your media. Professional workflows that are in need of 4K or 4.6K raw recording, as well as high frame rate shooting, will benefit from the high-bandwidth of CFast 2.0 cards. Raw HD and 4K ProRes footage can be recorded onto SD cards, that are compatible with the UHS-II standard, creating a cost-friendly option for recording. Having two of each slow allows you to keep recording in whatever format you choose.
- The URSA Mini Pro G2 features a physical design that is sized down from the original URSA shape, allowing it to be suitable for a broad variety of worksflows, such as documentaries, feature films, indie films, television, commercials, or music videos. The URSA Mini Pro G2's design includes an optional shoulder mount that features a built-in quick release plate, allowing it to switch from handheld, to shoulder, to tripod, in a matter of seconds. Though the design is more compact, the URSA Mini Pro G2 still meets the essential needs & functions for professional workflows.
- The URSA Mini Pro G2 features high quality built-in microphones with professional audio recording options, which helps reduce the amount of equipment that is necessary for filming. The built-in stereo microphone can be used to record natural location sound, & the option of using professional microphones is still available via the two XLR microphone inputs. The XLR connections feature 48V of switchable phantom power, enabling the use of shotgun microphones, or wireless lavalier microphones. Audio knobs are featured for adjusting your audio levels while monitoring the audio. The display screen shows audio meters, which also assist in monitoring your audio levels.
- The URSA Mini Pro G2 is designed with a 4-pin XLR industry standard power connector, which works with 12-30V external power supplies. This feature allows you to record using existing power supplies & batteries. The Blackmagic URSA V-Lock Battery Plate (sold separately) is available for using V-mount batteries.
- A DaVinci Resolve USB dongle is included with the camera, which provides you with a license to unlock the full feature set within the software. The full version of DaVinci Resolve is compatible with Windows & Mac, & can be used for media management, editing, color grading, delivery, & mastering. The software is designed to handle the 12-bit log raw images from the URSA Mini Pro G2, & features advanced, multilayer timeline editing/powerful trimming tools, as well as a professional suite of creative grading tools.